Want an inside look into some of Vision’s venues? We’ve created 360 virtual tours showcasing some of our special buildings!
Find out more about the history of each building and then click on the link below to start your virtual tour.
Grade II* listed, the house was built in around 1696 for Elizabeth Tillotson and her family, after the death of her husband, the Archbishop of Canterbury. At that time the new brick house stood in open countryside, several miles from the edge of London.
Valentines has changed hands many times since then. City merchant and banker Robert Surman bought the estate in the 1720s and created the walled gardens, dovecote and grottoes. In the 1760s owner Sir Charles Raymond spent part of his fortune renovating Valentines, giving the house its Georgian appearance. Sarah Ingleby, the last private resident of Valentines, died in 1906 and Ilford Council acquired the house in 1912. Since then, the mansion has been home to First World War Belgian refugees and hospital, a public health centre, and Redbridge Council’s housing department.
After standing empty for 15 years, Valentines was restored in 2009 by Richard Griffiths Architects with Redbridge Council and Heritage Lottery funds and strong community support to create the historic but contemporary venue it is today.
Redbridge Central Library & Museum
Purpose-built library opened in 1986 as part of a redevelopment of Ilford Town Centre which included clearance of housing. It replaced the previous library (at rear of Redbridge Town Hall) and Reference Library (on High Road). Designed by London Borough of Redbridge architects it originally featured a café and display space as well as library functions and community halls.
In 2000, Redbridge Museum opened on the 2nd floor along with a temporary exhibition space on the 1st floor. In 2012 it was extensively remodelled by Vision RCL and designers Open the Book. In 2017, the Lab Central digital space (first floor), Hub Central business and employment support (2nd floor) and Redbridge Heritage Centre (2nd floor) opened.
Kenneth More Theatre
Ilford’s civic theatre, the Kenneth More, opened on 31 December 1974 opposite Redbridge Town Hall on what had been a public convenience.
Designed by London Borough of Redbridge architects, the theatre seated 365 and was fully equipped with a proscenium arch stage with fly tower and orchestra pit for 26 musicians and a 50 seat Studio Theatre for experimental work.