Home Library Service Volunteer
Do you enjoy working with people? Do you know about books and want others who cannot reach libraries to read?
We are looking for sociable and caring individuals to visit our housebound customers in their homes who find it difficult to visit libraries due to old age, disability or illness.
You will be supported in your role as a Housebound Readers Volunteer by the Home Library Service Volunteer Co-Ordinator.
In this role we ask for at least a six month commitment. Download the full volunteer role PDF for a detailed description.
Freedom Passes for Londoners Support Volunteers
Do you enjoy working with the public and would like an important volunteer role assisting people applying online for Freedom Passes?
We are looking for kind, IT literate individuals to assist customers who want to apply for their Freedom Pass for travel around London. Volunteers will assist customers to make the most of their IT and online experiences when applying for Freedom passes.
As one of our volunteers you will provide support and help for a very specific user group on library computers. You may also be helping with making sure the applicant has got the correct information and documents, talking to applicants about any details they need help with.
Download the full volunteer role PDF for a detailed description.
Blue Badge Support and School Admission Support Volunteers
Do you enjoy working with the public? Would you like an important Volunteer Role assisting people with applying online for Blue Badges or applying online for School Admissions? Are you kind and IT literate, and have a few hours a month to spare?
As one of our community volunteers you will provide support and help for a very specific user group on Library computers. You may also be helping with photocopying documents and talking to applicants about the details of their application.
Blue Badge Support Volunteers
We are looking for individuals to assist customers who require Blue Badges for their cars so that they can have free car parking. Volunteers will assist customers to make the most of their IT and online experiences when applying for Blue Badges.
School Admissions Support Volunteers
We are looking for individuals to assist our customers who need to apply for a place for their children with School Admissions. Volunteers will assist customers to make the most of their IT and online experiences when applying for School Admissions.
What will you do?
Using a Library computer:
- Help with logging into a specific application site, in which you will be trained
- Help with filling in the online application forms
- Help with printing/we will train you on our computers
- Help with scanning/ we will train you on our scanners
- Saving and attaching documents
Using a photocopier:
- Help with photocopying
Any activity involving sensitive data or financial transactions such as setting up bank accounts will NOT be undertaken by you.
You are the go-to person who will sit with our applicants for a booked session to show them how to fill out their online application.
You will be happy to help with smaller online tasks that the applicants may find very challenge and you will see the bigger picture of what they are trying to achieve and how important it is to them.
Who you are
- You enjoy working with people of all ages
- You engage well with others and are passionate about helping people in libraries
- You have a sensitive, warm, friendly personality
- You are IT literate (at least an intermediate level) and confident using computers, internet and email
- You are helpful with excellent communication skills
- You are self-sufficient but confident to ask questions should the need arise
- You have a good command of spoken English and possibly other community languages
- You are a lifelong learner and are eager to assist others to learn new skills
- You understand the need for confidentiality
- You are at least 18 years old. There is no upper age limit for volunteering.
As a community volunteer you will:
- Agree with the library staff a regular day of the week and time to volunteer at the library
- Report any hardware and software issues to a member of library staff
Place of volunteering, period of volunteer activity and timetable
- You will volunteer at a Redbridge Library. Please ask staff for more details in your chosen branch. Please note this opportunity is available in all our branches except for Clayhall and Aldersbrook
- This activity takes place all year round
- You must commit to volunteer once a week for a minimum of one hour
- All volunteers are placed initially on a one-month trial basis. Volunteers and activities are reviewed every six months.
Please ensure that you have read all of the information under Volunteering on our main page before applying.