The Summer Reading Challenge, presented by The Reading Agency and funded by Arts Council England, encourages children to set themselves a reading challenge to help prevent the summer reading ‘dip’.
With the disruption caused by COVID-19 and the impact of social distancing on schools and public libraries, the 2020 Challenge launched as a digital activity to keep children reading over the summer and support parents and carers with children already at home.
Children taking part in the Challenge will join the Silly Squad, an adventurous team of animals who love to have a laugh and get stuck in to all different kinds of funny books!
With school life disrupted and many children missing the company of their friends, this year’s fun-filled Summer Reading Challenge will be all the more vital as a way of helping parents and carers find fun, family-friendly activities, maintain literacy levels and create a safe space for children to connect with their peers.
What you need to know
- The challenge was launched on Friday 5 June 2020 and will run through until 30 September
- For ages 4 to 11 years
- It’s FREE to access
- There are a range of activities including; games, quizzes and digital downloads
- Children and their families are encouraged to take part!
Are you ready for the challenge?
- or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your child doesn’t have library membership, join online now
Kids Reading Room
Visit the eBook collection live on OverDrive Kids Reading Room homepage! Browse the collections below: